Friday, October 09, 2009

Ghosts from TV Past

Yesterday I discovered this interesting Facebook fanpage about a classic ITV children's elevision series called The Ghosts of Motley Hall. I have from time to time briefly thought about that program I don't think it has aired in my area (Toronto) since TVOntario played it in the late 70's. But for some reason it has stayed in my subconscious on some level. I don't remember being a huge fan of it. In fact, if memory serves, I think I watched it mainly because it might have been on just prior to Doctor Who. I somehow remember images of ghost characters such as the kid and the White Lady. I also primarily think of the huge staircase in the room where most of the action took place, or so I think it did. I am glad that I found this page, because I have at times wondered if the show actually existed, or did I somehow imagine or invent it in my brain. What a relief to learn that I am not crazy and this show did exist. I remember a weird sort of feeling I would have when watching it, and I just had the same twinge watching a clip of the opening sequence on YouTube. I may check out more of the program now.

It is interesting to me how early memories I have are linked so strongly to the popular cultural and television contextualities of the time. In some ways, my viewing habits as a child, primarily as a kid who was drawn very strongly to BBC, ITV and other UK imports shown on TVOntario and PBS Rochester, informed my later television habits as to the kind of programs I would later be interested in, the styles of writing, the styles of cinematography, and of course music scores. In particular for example, I have a love for early BBC Radiophonic Workshop material, and I seemingly consider their repertoir as if it was that of a band or a commercial act.

I am considering researching a paper on the social reality of Canadians who watch television from the UK, with a particular interest towards programs such as Doctor Who, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and other tv serials of the time. Perhaps research questions may deal with how these sorts of programs have informed viewers of worldviews alternative to the kinds that were and are socialized in other hegemonic ways.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrea L. Cole said...

I remember having a similar experience with a cartoon from the mid-eighties called 'Rose Petal Place'. I remember seeing it come on T.V. from time to time, and my fuzzy memories consisted only of a small flower/child and a spider-woman type who invited her into her lair only to try and poison the little rose girl. It wasn't until I was able to wiki it years later that I finally could confirm that I didn't just make it up.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home