Tuesday, October 06, 2009

The Meaning of Meaningful Accomplishment: A Sensory Exploration

I had the pleasure of speaking with someone yesterday online, someone who I really don't know at all, but someone who reminded me of the essence of personal achievement. It was a good moment, because it reminded me that I am not without accomplishments and I do not have to continually degrade myself in my mind while I struggle through this current transformational period.

What I was reminded of was that some things that may be perceived as minor aspects to one's everyday reality are achievements. Simple shifts in perception from negative to positive, outlook shifts that are also transcendent from negative to positive, acquiring and developing a new way to look at the world, new ways to become truthful with oneself and thus others as a result, and of course, living each and everyday looking to do something that will help and improve another's existence, no matter how small or large. Everything in one's mind is significant. How we use these notions-to-manifestations of reality is key.

It's a matter of perception.

It's a matter of psychology.

It's a matter of social reality.

It's a matter of epistemology and how we come to know and develop anything.

It's a matter of ontology and how we utilize and understanding of this to develop a worldview.

Canadian sociologist George Smith use to wear a t-shirt to his lectures that would say "I have made the ontological shift". This was a bold statement in the social sciences relational to the discourses dealing with the practices of instituional ethnography and pedagogy around the everyday doings of social actors who struggle and fight for political rights. It is also bold as a personal and individual statement, for it shows the relationship we have as people to the categories and identity structures we are alligned and allign ourselves with in everyday practices (i.e.: career changes, relationship changes, idenity changes, etc.).

I'm on a huge ontological shift right now. Epistemologically too. It is being produced from a current practice of stripping down several components of my identity. It's harsh. It's needed right now. I have somehow found myself in a sort of identity-identificational interdimensional imbalance, looking for something for my life to be about in regards to creative work, career, relationships, etc. All the huge stuff. But above all, I have to realize I am accomplished. I have amassed critical thinking skills, knowledge, and more importantly, the blissful reality of unmastery - there is nothing I know fully nor do I need to. I only need to learn and go on, which I have already proven to myself in recent years that I am capable of that. That's a huge accomplishment for someone who spent many years looking for something that he felt was real and possible and tangible, but left to realize and learn the harsh reality that you cannot plan your life to extreme levels componentially (i.e.: past dreams, past outlooks, etc.).

We are all works in progress in which the process, ontologically expansive, is a great accomplishment to work towards, and I have experiential basis for this already.

Richard Birch

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrea L. Cole said...

Well said. I think there is a distinct need to make the idea of 'personal accomplishment' much more about the 'personal' and less about what is to be deemed 'accomplishment'.

Frankly, each day that I get through to bedtime without accidentally offing myself in some freak accident is an accomplishment.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home